Saturday, August 30, 2008

Peach Cobbler

I have a sweet tooth luckily for me it is not a condition I have to endure day by day but when I do get the taste for something sweet this is one of desserts I like to make.

Peach Cobbler! I'm from Texas and in Texas everything there is better. Well I am going to have to say that in this respect I have yet to taste a peach that is as sweet as the ones where I live in Alabama. Not even the peaches from Georgia tastes as sweet and juicy. I might get a few strongly worded replies about my allegations that Georgia nor Texas can grow a decent peach but I guess I must weather the storm.

There are two ways to prepare this recipe both are good but the later to me tastes wonderful.


3/4 cup flour
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 3/4 cups sugar
3/4 cup milk
1 stick butter (use butter! no margarine and I normally use 1/2 of a stick)
3 cups sliced fresh peaches (From Alabama)


Destruction!

Preheat your oven to 350 deg.

grab your trusty 9 x 9 inch pan and place the stick of butter in the pan and place in the oven. Once butter is melted remove from the oven and set aside.

in a mixing bowl add your flour, salt, baking powder and sugar, use low speed of your mixer to blend all the ingredients. Once blended add your milk to make your batter, ensure you have no lumps.

Pour the batter into the baking dish.

Place a layer of sliced peaches on top of the batter than sprinkle some sugar on top. The amount of sugar you use is all up to you.

Place the dish back into the oven and bake for at least 1 hour. Depending on your oven it might take a bit longer or it might not.

Serve with vanilla ice or Leche de Dulce ice cream. How many does this serve? I really don't know.

Now for version 2.0!
Everything stays the same except use a can of peaches and reserve the juice. Once the peaches are in place drizzle a bit of the juice on top than bake.

Version 2.2
Pour a can of peaches in a small pot and place on low heat add apx 1/8 teaspoon of cinnamon and a touch of nutmeg. Taste the juice and adjust accordingly. Place the peaches on top of the batter than add some of the juice on top than bake.

Here is a later addition to this recipe that has nothing to do with ingredients but to the baking aspect. Where I live in Kuwait we are not allowed to have any cooking appliance not matter what the type but yet in the BX they sell frozen pizza and other items that need to be cooked in a small oven even a toaster oven would be useful but even this is too small for my use.
What I do have on hand is a 12 inch clam shell pizza maker, heating elements are on both the top and bottom to ensure the pizza is cooked evenly. I re-purposed this hand kitchen gadget but before hand I cleaned the interior to ensure no home-made pizza residue remained within the pizza maker.

What I did next was to turn on the unit (15 min timer) for 5 minutes to melt the butter. Once the butter was melted I tilted the bottom was well coated.















Next I placed the peaches on top of the batter and along with the peaches I drizzled a bit of the syrup.




My last step was closing the pizza maker and turning the timer to 15 minutes and now all I have to do is wait. I was a bit frightened when I started to smell the cobbler starting to burn but my fears were allayed (did I spell that correctly) when I peaked and all look great.
What I did notice was that the full 15 minutes were not necessary and I cut the time by a few minutes and this is what we had. Luckily for me it tasted really good but the only thing we were missing was some vanilla ice-cream! How could I have forgotten such a necessary and integral part of the dessert? Oh well next time. :)




If you do happen to try this let me know how it worked for you.

One of the guys I work with has a little saying when we don't have what we need out here and here is it. "Life in the Desert".

See ya'!

No comments: