Saturday, March 13, 2010

Hot Sweet Stuff

One weekend we had a bbq that consisted of ribs, coleslaw, red beans and a dessert. Everything looked complete but we needed a dipping sauce for the ribs. Something sweet and hot sounded pretty good but I had to be careful with heat.
What sounded good to me was a ginger garlic spicy sauce. Well I had enough ground ginger and garlic on hand for the spice I used red pepper flakes and ground black pepper. As a note to self I'm going to try cayenne pepper next time due to the long slow cooking time in the microwave. For the saltiness I used a little bit of soy sauce. I used good old maple syrup (your choice) to bind them all together It worked out but to tell you the truth I have no idea as to the amounts used so I am going to wing it, so here we go.

In a sauce pan add the following ingredients:

1 1/2 cup maple syrup (your choice)
2 tbls ground ginger*
1/2 tbls ground garlic*
1 tbls red pepper flakes
1 tsp ground black pepper or to taste
1/8 cup or less soy sauce

I placed all ingredients in a glass bowl and used a microwave to slowly heat up the mixture in order to get all of the flavors to blend. Like most cooks please adjust to suit your taste. If you have a stove like most normal people please you a small pot and use low heat to slowly heat the mixture and taste occasionally and adjust recipe to your liking.

* I used a tablespoon that is normally used at your plate setting so make a judgment call when adding the ginger and garlic paste. Oh and I did not used powdered garlic or ginger.

Note: Next time I might try using ground cayenne pepper and maybe some citrus juice to add a different level of flavor.

I hope you like it. we did. :)

Ok Barry let me know if this is close to the taste you had that Thursday evening so long ago.

No comments: