Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Pineapple Jalepeno Marinade

Looking for a new marinade a few days ago that used a few items I had on hand; mango, orange and pineapple juice, garlic, ginger etc. I used. I found several recipes that seemed quite tasty and one that really caught my attention but my problems with this marinade were the number and type of ingredients necessary. Well I did what any deserving kitchen scientist would do I experimented so I ended up tossing half of the called for ingredients and added a few of my own or substituted for an ingredient that are similar.

Here are the ingredients!
(Metric system not used)

I shortened the marinade to the following (I did not measure so the amounts are approximate):

2 cups Pineapple juice (try to find a nectar if possible)
2 cloves garlic, mashed
2 jalapenos, seeded if you like (I just cut the stem off)
1/2 cup lime juice
1.5 - 2 tbls lime pepper
1 - 1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
2 tbls honey

1. Mix all of the ingredients with honey being the exception into a blender and puree.

2. Add 6-8 chicken thighs (my fav) into a non reactive bowl or a gallon plastic bag and pour in the marinade!

3. Let marinade for at least 6 hours or overnight.

4. Remove chicken from refrigerator and let warm up for a few minutes than remove chicken from and pour marinade into a small pot.

5. Bring your reserved marinade to a slow boil. Once marinade is at a slow boil add the two tbls of honey (a little more if you like) and stir often until reduced by half.

6. You can use the reduced marinade to glaze your chicken when it is almost done to add more flavor or use afterward at the picnic table.

There you have it!

The reduction and the grilled chicken did not retain the heat from the jalapeno which surprised me, I had though they would be be hot (unless the pepper's I used were on the wimpy side). I used the reduction to glaze the chicken prior to removing from the grill and also placed the reduction on the picnic table for all to use and all of my lab rats enjoyed it.

I also used this marinade for pork ribs with great results. Some of the guys want to marinade their rib-eye's if we do I will update this post with our collective results

See ya'

No comments: