Thursday, March 25, 2010

Beef Fajita's

When the PX receives a shipment of skirt steak it is a treat! All it means for me is to gather my spices and get the marinade mixed get the meat ready for the grill. This got me to thinking (Charlee tells me this is dangerous, thinking that is) about what spices other use to marinate your skirt steak. Normally I use garlic, black pepper, lime juice (lemon when I'm in a pinch) cumin, oregano and Tequila when I have a bottle around. When I did a search on the web (Google is my friend) I found a wide variation of spices that are used to marinate the beef.

I found the following ingredients:
Cilantro - No a bad idea.
Beer - different but I'll pass thank you.
Worcestershire sauce - Are you kidding me?
Brown sugar - Hmmm, don't think so.
Jalapenos - I can deal with a bit of spice. ;)
Lemon pepper - I've used this when I have no lime juice around
Lime pepper - Note the above statement.
Soy sauce - Damn I thought this was a Tex-Mex dish did I miss something?
Vinegar - Hmmm. I guess this is suppose to tenderize the meat?
Paprika - Ok, I have no idea why you would use this spice.

There is the sampling of the other ingredients that can (if you want to use them) to marinade you skirt steak but for me I'll just stick to what I have been using. The one bad thing is that I don't really measure the spice or liquids for this particular marinade so your on your own buddy.

3 large cloves garlic pressed
1 tbls oregano
1-2 tsp cumin
black pepper
salt
1/3 cup lime juice
1/3 cup Tequila

Mix all ingredients together in a large plastic zip lock bag followed by you skirt steak and let it marinade for a minimum of 6 hours to over night.

All I can say is enjoy.

No comments: